Repositories allow hosting big files to be downloaded:
- ISO files
- Packages repositories (.deb, .rpm...)
Default quota is 1024 MB and can be easily increased if you ask for it (kindly :D). Files are downloadable using ftp, http and rsync.
Note: choose carefully the name of your project as the URL for your repository will be of the form http://download.tuxfamily.org/PROJECT/
You can ask for creation in the panel (Your Project/Download Repository/Create).
- Write a clear description including license, moderation will be quicker.
This object is moderated see : Moderation
How to administrate
There isn't any option in the panel.
Nothing to configure :)
How to manage my project's rights
This object can be shared with your group using ACL
How to delete
- login in the panel
- Click on your project's group
- Click on your repository
- Click on delete
How to use
URLS for consultation are :
Simply use your ftp client on ftp.tuxfamily.org with your login (the panel one), files belong to your group and are replaceable by your project's contributors. Please add a README file including :
- Repository's content, its organization
- The license you chose for your files (see LicenceLibre) : add a LICENSE or COPYRIGHT file (like in debian)
- How to use this repository
- You can name this file MANIFEST (or _README or .README ? to place it first of list) => verify what is printed with an ftp connection.
Download repositories and civism...
As on any shared hosting platform, resources are shared between all our users. This is also true for the download repository service. Please follow those simple rules (most of them are common sense...) :
- Do not waste storage space. You have to clean up your download repository and remove old/unused files
- Please warn us before releasing big files... (ISO of a distribution for example)
- If you want to be on http://distrowatch.com (or any other similar website) you also have to warn us BEFORE so we can tell our Bandwidth providers that we are going to suck a lot of bandwidth...
- If you are releasing packages for a distribution with a name starting by 'U' and finishing by 'buntu', remember to get in touch with the official repositories to host your packages instead of creating an other repository on TuxFamily... or have a simple look at existing repositories and contact their owner to join them
- Please also ask your users not to use those #@!$#@!$#@$ downloading 'accelerators' softwares that open 200000 connections on the server to download a single file... Those softwares surely increase the server load but not the download speed...
TuxFamily have always been nice with you and we really dislike filtering our services. But if one of you use so many resources that the service quality is impacted for all our hosted projects, we will kick his ass for sure.
Tricks and tips
- Look at http://download.tuxfamily.org/vhffs4/ for a debian repository example.
- Think to put a md5sum or sha1 file for ISO images (It allows to check the downloaded files)
- Please tidy up your folders (more than your room) to foresee next versions.