A Mailing-list enables you to define mail adresse which redirects to some mailboxes (@tuxfamily.org or not).
- A user account
- A validated project
- A mail domain (not an obligation, if you don't have it, you will have a list with domain @lists.tuxfamily.org)
You can create lists with your own domain and with lists.tuxfamily.org domain too.
help for creation
This object is submitted to moderation see : here
How to Administer (panel)
When you create a mailing list, you have many options. See details :
- Moderated : Posts on mailing list are moderated. Administrator have to validate messages before they are sent to members of the list(disabled by default).
- Open subscribing : Anybody can subscribe to this list and receive messages. (enabled by default).
- Open Post : Anybody can post a message on this list (disabledto avoid spam, except if a member of your list have a virus)
- Open Archives : Archives of the list are public (disabled by default)
Users have different permissions. "Subscriber" Right permits to send and receive messages. An Administrator, could moderate messages of the list, subscribe new members.
When you create a list, you have to define a base name which creates two adresses :
- basename@domain, used to post on the list. (default : domain = lists.tuxfamily.org or your own domain name if you manage it by the panel).
- basename-request@domain, used for administration requests. Used to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc ...
How to handle group rights
This object can be shared with your group using the ACL
How to delete
- login with Panel
- click on your project's group
- click on your mailing list
- click on Delete
How to use
We will concentrate on the address name_of_list-request@domain, which will allow you to manage your list. Here is how it works.
For the lambda user (or bêta)
To subscribe to the ML, just send a mail to name_of_list-request@domain with subject : "subscribe" (yes, you read correctly, the -request is for administrative management). A mail is sent back to confirm the request. To unsubscribe, it's the same thing but with the subject being "unsubscribe". And to annoy the user till the end, confirmation is needed too.
Your list archives are available at : http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/DOMAINNAME/LISTNAME
if your project is hosted directly at TF, the url will be : http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/LISTNAME/
For moderating, an administrator can send the following messages :
- A message with the subject : "moderate list" will get you a list of messages to moderate.
- A message with the subject : "moderate validate XXXXX" will validate and send to the list the message identified by XXXXXX
- A message with the subject : "moderate delete XXXXX" will delete the message identified by XXXXXX
Tips and Tricks
- To get help, simply send a message with "help" as the subject line to name_of_list-request@domain.
- When the list engine doesn't understand an Email sent to it, it will send you an Email telling you as much.
- Don't add the list's Email address as one of its recipients.