- 1 Description
- 2 Dependences
- 3 Creation
- 4 Moderation
- 5 How to manage it? (panel)
- 6 User email
- 7 SSH access
- 8 How to delete it
The user represents a physical person (YOU). This is also your login to access the panel and all the services provided by TuxFamily. Creating an user account automatically creates an message inbox at tuxfamily.org and a jabber ID at tuxfamily.org. They are both activated only if you have at least one project.
A working PC with an internet connection and some common sense ;)
To create your user, use the subscribe link on the Panel and fill in the required fields. Please do provide accurate information in the personal information section.
TuxFamily will NEVER use your personal information for commercial purposes !
Once your account has been created, you should receive an email containing your password. Welcome to TuxFamily!
- use only lowercase letters and numbers in the user name field.
- do NOT create an account for your group! you have to create an account for each user and then create a group
- do not use special/non english characters in any field(€, æ, ï, ç, ø and ñ won't work...)
- do not use a tuxfamily email address in the email field or, we won't be able to contact you if the mailing platform is down...
- again, please use a valid email address. As stated, it will not be given to third parties. Also, should the provided email address not be valid, you will not be able to recover forgotten passwords and such.
- TuxFamily.org does not send large volumes of email. You're not going to get a daily TuxFamily newsletter.
- TuxFamily.org won't be able to inform you of important changes if your email address is incorrect.
If you already have a dummy account or an account with a bad name, please delete it and create a new one from scratch.
There is no moderation on user registration.
How to manage it? (panel)
There is not much that's vital here... just your user Preferences and personal information etc...
The only options you can find in this section allows you to choose what the server will do with incoming mails at email@example.com and which shell you will have on the ssh service. (see in the dedicated sections bellow for more informations)
As a TuxFamily member, you're given an email address @tuxfamily.org if one of your projects is validated by the administrator team (yeah, just like antibiotic, it's not automatic :D).
In the user preferences section, you can define how those mails are routed (local mailbox or redirection). Your email password is the same as your panel password.
Warning! Once your mailbox has been created, you have to activate it by sending an email to it
You have two options:
- Redirecting all the mails to an other existing account (firstname.lastname@example.org/net/org)
- creating a real mailbox @tuxfamily.org
If you have this error : Connection dropped by IMAP server, you have to send a mail to activate it as said below.
Note: we are not a mail provider but a hosting platform :) If you don't have any project and/or services on TuxFamily and your account remains inactive (no connection to the panel), your account can be deleted. The mail @tuxfamily.org does not count as a service. We provide it for history reasons. If you are one of the very few people that don't have a project but use the mail, just tell us we'll add you to a group name parasites ;-).
How to use it
- You can use our wonderful webmail http://webmail.tuxfamily.org/ or https://webmail.tuxfamily.org/ (ssl)
- Or using your favorite (and open source :P) mail client with one of those servers:
- pops.tuxfamily.org (ssl),
- imaps.tuxfamily.org (ssl)
Outgoing emails : TuxFamily.org won't provide a smtp server, so you have to use your ISP's smtp server to send emails.
Just use the default options of your mail client to use the ssl server (imaps.tuxfamily.org)
With the login informations you are using on the panel, you are now able to connect on our SSH server (ssh.tuxfamily.org). By default and for security reasons, your shell account is disabled. Here is the way to activate your ssh account
You have to be at least in one group in order to activate your ssh account.
- Login to the panel with your usual username and password
- In your preferences, select the shell you want tu use (for example /bin/bash)
- Wait for at least 10 minutes
- ssh yourself on ssh.tuxfamily.org with the username and password of the panel.
How to use it?
As on all the services provided by TuxFamily, there are very few restrictions on the SSH service. You should be able to do regular file management tasks.
Be careful, think before you type !
If you don't really know what you are doing, we recommend you tu use the regular FTP access ;)
For now, users crontabs won’t be executed. We are planning to provide group cronjobs management through the VHFFS panel in a way that allows us to load balance the jobs on several servers, to keep cronjobs in the database and to provide cronjobs for groups instead of the users crontabs you can find on a regular Unix system.
disabling your SSH acces
If you want to disable your ssh access, go back to the panel and select the /bin/falseshell shell. 10 minutes later, your shell account will be disabled.
Guideline on the SSH server
Please be nice, as usual on TuxFamily, there are very few restrictions on this service. We would really like to keep the ssh service open for everybody ;)
How to delete it
You can delete your account by using the "delete" button on the panel in your user section.