- 1 Description
- 2 Dependences
- 3 Creation
- 4 Moderation
- 5 How to configure it
- 6 Why TuxFamily provide "only" php and not python, perl, whatever
- 7 Tips and tricks
- 8 Liens utiles
A Website allows you to put some web pages online (surprising eh ?). You can use almost all php softwares but also static pages. We provide Php4 AND php5 (see the configuration section of this page for more informations)
As usual, you will have to login on the panel. Select the project which need a website and use the "create" link in the website menu. Fill up the form, submit it and wait for moderation.
Trick and tips
- Be careful when asking for a website, specially when filling up the "name" field (see next section for more informations)
- Don't forget to fill up the description. This description will be displayed on the list of all hosted websites so take the time to write a nice description (don't forget the license!)
Choosing the website name
You have two options :
If you own a domain
If you own a domain (mydomain.com for example): then you might want to create a website www.mydomain.com or wiki.mydomain.com. In ANY case, do NOT put "www" in the servername field : just ask for a website named mydomain.com or wiki.mydomain.com. The panel is smart enough, it will redirect www.mydomain.com to the website named mydomain.com.
TuxFamily do not sell domain names so make sure that the domain is yours before asking a website. If you want a domain, you can buy one here.
Of course, don't forget to create alias on your domain configuration page (www.mydomain.org => web.tuxfamily.net and mydomain.org => web.tuxfamily.net) otherwise, it won't work...
You can also, if you want, host your [[DNS/En|DNS] on TuxFamily.
If you don't have a domain
If you don't have a domain, you will have to ask for a *.tuxfamily.org website. If you want mywebsite.tuxfamily.org, ask for a web space named "mywebsite.tuxfamily.org" again, no www !
This object is moderated, see the moderation section
How to configure it
Use the panel to access the website configuration page. You can change some options such as crawling for robots and the description. In this section, you will also find a link to your website's statistics.
How to use it
How can I choose between Php4 and Php5 ? There is two way to use php5 on TuxFamily:
- By extension
Scripts with a .php extension will be run as php4 scripts. Those with a .php5 extension will be run as php5 scripts.
- By .htaccess file
If you want all your .php files to be redden as php5 scripts, you just have to put a .htaccess file in your folder. This file must include those lines :
AddHandler x-httpd-php5 .php AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php
How to manage permissions
There are two levels of permissions:
- the access to the website configuration using ACL
- the access to the files files of the website using the unix permissions(en)
How to delete it
- Log in on the panel
- clic on the group of your project
- clic on your website
- clic on delete
How to upload my files on my website ?
- the files are to be up uploaded in the htdocs/ folder in your website folder on the FTP server ( ftp.tuxfamily.org ).
Imagine you have a group 'toto' and the website toto.tuxfamily.org, the files must be uploaded into toto/toto.tuxfamily.org-web/htdocs/ on the FTP.
- The folder of the website is in the your group's folder (which is in your starting folder on the FTP). It ends with the suffix "-web".
- the tmp/ folder is used for temporary files of PHP as well as sessions.
- DO NOT put your PHP scripts or ANY files in chmod 777. They won't execute anyway and it is a serious security issue !
- the statistics of your website are available on http://stats.tuxfamily.org/YOURWEBSITE/. For example: http://stats.tuxfamily.org/faq.tuxfamily.org/
- if you get a 500 error:
"Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."
This may be due to a bad rights on your files : their writing right must NOT be 'other' (safety measure). you may do a chmod 775 on these files.
If you have a group with more than one contributor, please make sure that each person register on the panel to get a login. Then, just add them in your group and they will be able to upload files by ftp, using their own password.
Make sure that your FTP client handle symbolic links otherwise you won't be able to browse your projects. Of course, do not delete those symbolic links!
Why TuxFamily provide "only" php and not python, perl, whatever
For now, TuxFamily will only provide php to hosted people.
For more informations about PHP on TuxFamily, have a look to :
Unlike Python, Perl, ror, whatever, php include some security systems (such as suphp, safe_mode...) that allow us to
- prevent an user from accessing the root of the server
- Prevent from accessing other users's datas.
- Execute scripts as an user
- prevent from writing files in an other user's directory
As long as the other languages are not as secure as php, we won't be able to provide them to our (dear) hosted people.
"I just need this particular CGI for my website, could you please install it for me?"
Let me say it slowly to be sure that you understand : Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
As said in our hosting conditions, we won't do any particular case. If we provide a service, it will be the same for all our users.
Yes but I realy need trac for my project !
You can try using flyspray ;)
Or you can contribute to vhffs to add trac support on vhffs :)
For PHP, if the server load increase too much, we can use eaccelerator, with perl or python, we would be trapped.
For JBoss and tomcat, We are not sure that our servers will be able to support such a big load.
Other hosting solutions
Okay if you can't do without python, have a look at :
Tips and tricks
- Do NOT put a 777 mode on one of yours php files. you can have security issues and it won't be loaded by our servers!
- For a same project, you can have more than one website, for exemple, you can have a wikipour un même projet vous pouvez avoir plusieurs espace web, par exemple pour un wiki servant à la doc et un forum utilisé pour le support utilisateur :
- If you just deleted you htdocs folder, come on our irc channel, an admin may be able to do something for you.
- If you can't upload your files without error, you need more disk-space. Try sending a mail to the staff to get your quota enlarged :)
- If you can't connect to our server, try using the active mode.
- If you have troubles removing a directory, you may have some "hidden" files. Make sure that your ftp client display them.