Welcome to TuxFamily's English FAQ. Please sit, have a drink and take a look at the main sections. This FAQ is a wiki : please feel free to contribute by adding new stuff or translating from the French FAQ (you need to register on the wiki).
The English FAQ is still not as complete as the French one. Sometimes you may land on a French web page. Please use Google translations ;) BTW we are looking for contributors that would translate the FAQ to English (or Spanish or ... you name it)
So, if you are here because a guy that knows your brother who has a friend who knows someone hosted on TuxFamily, you are at the right place :)
TuxFamily is a non-profit organization which provides free services for projects dealing with the free software philosophy (free as in free speech, not as in free beer). All projects licenced with any libre licence are accepted, for example GPL, BSD, CC-BY-SA, Art Libre, ... Right now, about 4000 users and 800 projects are using TuxFamily.org free hosting services. So don't wait, subscribe to Tuxfamily !
You may find the 10 Frequently Asked Questions here : 10Questions/En
The Users' Room
Since you are a happy TuxFamily user, you have been granted an access to our forum : forum.tuxfamily.org it is all your's ! enjoy ;)
What the hell is Tuxfamily.org ?? Well, we are not really sure but we are working on it. :P You may find a nice presentation here
New TuxFamily members
You are a brand new TuxFamily member, you have just received your password by email but you don't know what to do with it and want some help? First, we hope that you understood our [policy] before subscribing Everything is okay? Your projects fits the requirements? You still want to trust our silly team for hosting your project ? well... why not... let's get started ;)
To host your project in our nice family, you will have to learn how to deal with the panel. It is a nice web interface mainly designed by TuxFamily's admins which allows you to manage all your hosting services.
Each hosting service is seen on the panel as an object parented to a project (group).
Here are the objects/services you can ask for :
You can also read the following sections :
- All you always wanted to know about moderation (your project have been refused, there is a reason...)
- Tell the world how much you enjoy being hosted by Tuxfamily (and how handsome the admins are): How to promote TuxFamily
- Read about the licenses you should use for your projects
In any case, feel free to join our irc channel (#tuxfamily @ irc.tuxfamily.org) or to leave a message on our forum.
- Give us some hardware stuff for our servers
- Donate to Tuxfamily
- Get some job done for us
- [Make a suggestion] (Try not to ask for the moon, we don't own it yet, we are mainly trying to rule the Earth)
- Join the happy crew and try to keep this big baby up and running
Dating the administrator crew
- Learn everything about the admin's personal life (RTA) and try to understand our interventions
- Add some stuff on the [todo list] (isn't it great? filling up someone's todo list with hard work mouahahahah)
- Read TF's future (will require some more alcohol and an empty fish tank)